Now hiring: Manager, Audience Growth & Engagement
Contract role, 20 hours per week.
Compensation: $38 an hour, paid monthly with the expectation of an average of 20 hours per week.
Start Date: May, 2021
Location: Remote within the U.S. South (preference given to Atlanta, Birmingham, and Durham)
Scalawag's Mission: Through journalism and storytelling, Scalawag works in solidarity with oppressed communities in the South to disrupt and shift the narratives that keep power and wealth in the hands of the few. Collectively, we pursue a more liberated South.
Scalawag's Audience Growth & Engagement Manager will manage all products, platforms, and workflows related to growing and deepening engagement with our online audiences. They will work with the Publisher and Managing Editor to set strategy and drive metrics aligned to our organizational outcomes, and work with our two Visual Editors on creating assets for social media and site use.
This is a new role, and the first project will be to set up plans and strategies that work for Scalawag's content across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media. In other words, you won't be joining an existing social media team, but creating your own workflows and crafting a distinct voice for Scalawag across platforms.
Social media work includes writing copy and developing ideas from (and alongside with) our editorial content, tailoring Scalawag stories to audiences on specific platforms, assisting with headlines and article copy for social media, and intervening in the editorial process to plan and execute specific assets for social media with our two Visual Editors.
Marketing work includes paid and organic social media campaigns, email appeals, language for on-site calls to action, membership/donation acquisition and retention campaigns, promotion of Scalawag's online and in-person events and activities, and growing our new website audiences.
Engagement work includes owning the promotion of and conversion strategies around online and in-person events and memberful activities, audience listening campaigns and surveys, building newsletter loyalty and habits, and growing our returning website audience.
Social, Engagement, & Marketing:
- Manage daily posting across all of Scalawag's social media platforms and accounts, including promotion of new stories as well as pieces from the Scalawag archives.
- Keep abreast of trends, important dates, news-makers, and stakeholders to engage with on Scalawag's social platforms.
- Build and manage systems and workflows that keep engagement and marketing work both visible to the whole organization and aligned with organizational timelines and priorities.
- Collaborate with the Editorial Team and Visual Editors to produce platform-specific assets to create multiple access to our work for our audiences.
- Offer social-driven insight into optimal posting times, days, and dates for new content, as well as recirculation/republishing of older content.
- Direct and collaborate with Visual Editors to create platform-specific content for social media.
- Plan, implement, and manage paid and organic marketing strategies and campaigns on all social media platforms.
- Assist with the creation of fundraising and member acquisition campaigns.
- With the support of team members, lead marketing, promotion, and conversion/follow-up of online and (when safe) in-person activities and events, with a focus on the acquisition and retention of Scalawag members.
- Grow Scalawag's following and across all social media platforms, build "virality" on Twitter, and deepen engagement on Instagram.
- Work with Scalawag's newsletter authors to plan strategies that support the acquisition of new email subscribers and deepen engagement with existing email subscribers.
- Help grow and deepen Scalawag's relationship with Southern movement and community partners.
- Work with the Managing Editor to co-create SEO and social media headlines.
- Serve as the point of contact for Scalawag growth partners.
- Contribute to organization-wide discussions where appropriate or where goals intersect with position's scope or ongoing work.
- Support the management of platforms, products and contractors related to the Manager's area of work.
- Attend weekly engagement, product, editorial, and full-team meetings.
- Stay abreast of current events pertaining to Scalawag's mission and coverage.
- Follow news from other regional, state, and local media outlets across the South.
- Follow social media accounts of Southern movement organizers, justice-oriented organizations, public officials, and others with insider knowledge of the South's political landscape.
- Develop trusting relationships and maintain communication with Southern movement organizers and other partners.
- Check-in and respond to community and members' concerns/interests.
- Commitment to racial justice and dismantling white supremacy.
- Black, Latinx, and Indigenous candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects while effectively managing timelines and expectations.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- The ability to effectively take direction and work both collaboratively and autonomously.
- A grounding in Southern history and understanding of justice struggles in the South.
- A willingness to amplify stories from personal and professional networks outside of traditional journalism avenues.
Scalawag is a mostly-part time team of scrappy Southern organizers, academics, artists, journalists, writers, and editors spread out across the South committed to justice and liberation.
What makes Scalawag a unique place to work:
- We center oppressed people, not just in our work but also in our organizational culture and structure, particularly Black and queer folks. We are not here for homophobia, white-supremacy, classism or misogyny.
- We have a non-hierarchical, consensus-driven approach to work.
- We resist toxic hallmarks of the non-profit industrial complex; we respect boundaries, hours, and priorities outside of Scalawag.
- We like to work with folks who have their hands in several pots. We want you to bring all the things you do outside of Scalawag to bear on our mission to help us create radical, reciprocal Southern communities around solidarity and storytelling.
Please send your resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in the role, and a sample of a social media or marketing campaign you've led to: email@example.com, with the subject line "Engagement Manager" before 10 a.m. on Monday, May 3, 2021.
If you're interested in writing for Scalawag, learn more about how to pitch stories here.